- 1930 - Matt Monro (d. 1985)
- 1931 - Jim Nesbitt (d. 2007)
- 1933 - Lou Rawls (d. 2006)
- 1934 - Billy Paul (78)
- 1938 - Sandy Nelson (74)
- 1940 - Richard Pryor (d. 2005)
- 1942 - Casey Van Beek (Tractors) (70)
- 1944 - John Densmore (Doors) (68)
- 1944 - Eric Bloom (Blue Oyster Cult) (68)
- 1944 - Charlie Grima (Wizzard) (68)
- 1945 - Bette Midler (67)
- 1946 - Gilbert O'Sullivan (66)
- 1951 - Jaco Pastorius (Weather Report) (d. 1987)
- 1956 - Julee Cruise (56)
- 1956 - Kim Richie (56)
- 1959 - Steve Jansen (Japan) (53)
- 1963 - Sam Reid (Glass Tiger) (49)
- 1971 - Greg Upchurch (3 Doors Down) (41)
- 1977 - Brad Delson (Linkin Park) (35)
- 1978 - Mat Kearney (34)
- 1954 - Fred Rose (songwriter, publisher, charter member of the Country Music Hall of Fame) (56)
- 1966 - Carter Stanley (Stanley Brothers) - Cirrhosis of the liver (41)
- 1969 - Magic Sam (born Samuel Maghett) (32)
- 1997 - Stephane Grappelli - Following operation for a hernia (89)
- 1956 - The movie Shake, Rattle and Roll opened.
- 1964 - Ringo Starr went into the hospital to have his tonsils removed.
- 1966 - Jimi Hendrix signed with Who managers Kit Lambert and Chris Stamp.
- 1968 - Janis Joplin made her final appearance with Big Brother and the Holding Company.
- 1972 - Martha & the Vandellas gave their final performance.
- 1983 - Neil Young was sued by Geffen Records who said he had not delivered a commercial enough album (“not commercial in nature and musically uncharacteristic of his previous albums”).
- 1987 - Prince canceled the release of the Black Album.
- 1989 - Sly Stone received 55 days in prison after he plead guilty to driving under the influence of cocaine.
- 1990 - Poison's C.C. Deville was put in jail for the night in Louisville, KY because of public drunkenness and criminal mischief.
- 1994 - Tupac Shakur was convicted of sexual assault.
- 1995 - Frank Sinatra sold off a few of his things, bringing in over $2 million.
- 1997 - Kenny G set a new worlds record by holding a note on his saxophone for 45 minutes and 47 seconds.
- 1998 - NSYNC, Britney Spears and B*Witched opened their tour in Columbus, OH.
- 1999 - The 67th lighting of the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center draws an unbelievable 250,000 people, most of which wanting to see performances by ‘N Sync, Britney Spears, Enrique Iglesias, and Rosemary Clooney.
- 1999 - Naiomi and Wynonna Judd announce they will re-team for a new tour.
- 1999 - Pavement announced they were splitting for the foreseeable future.
- 1999 - Jay-Z stabbed Lance Rivera at a party in New York.
- 2003 - A warrant is put out for DJ Quik after he attacked his sister.
- 2004 - Marianne Faithful canceled the remainder of her European tour after collapsing and having a seizure in Milan. Doctors attributed it to chronic exhaustion.
- 1960 - Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee
- 1964 - Cryin' Time, I've Got a Tiger By the Tail - Buck Owens
- 1978 - Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick - Ian Dury
- 1957 - Ed Sullivan Show - Buddy Holly & the Crickets, Sam Cooke, Rays
- 1976 - Today (ITV) - Sex Pistols